In step with the “one health” model, which recognizes the unity and interconnectedness of people and pet health as they relate to each other and the environment, for customized Community Animal Management Strategies. Through consultation with each respective community leading their animal wellness initiatives, we create strategic plans that utilize various complimentary animal wellness services.
- For years, hard-working rescues, shelters, and other animal wellness groups have been transporting thousands of dogs from the North to the South so they can receive the necessary medical treatment and find their forever homes.
- Through a nation-wide network of animal care and adoption centres, as well as foster care homes, opportunity to welcome dogs from the North is abundant.
- Through proven adoption programs and successful promotional campaigns, Northern dogs are suitably matched with new adopters.
Spay/Neuter & Wellness Clinics
- Led by a collective of participating licenced veterinarians and veterinary technicians, medical services such as spaying/neutering, vaccinating and wellness examinations can be brought directly to communities that may not otherwise have access to such pet care.
- The distance to a local veterinarian can be a real barrier to receiving essential and, often times, critical medical care; many communities are challenged by a lack of veterinary hospital, adverse weather, remoteness and travel requirements.
- Spaying & neutering has proven to be an effective medical service in reducing and controlling pet overpopulation while also offering multiple health benefits to the individual animal itself.
Pet Food Program
- Via a collaboration of animal wellness partners, and through the generosity of individuals, groups, and corporate donors, food can be allocated to the areas in the North where the needs are greatest.
- The average cost of a small bag of dog food in a remote fly-in community in the North is $90.
- Strategically located storage units can hold small stockpiles of food and are more readily available when needed, with less distance to travel and time required to make it into communities where support has been requested.
- Thanks to the Animal North Network partners from various professional sectors all working together, resources can be delivered to communities by road, air, train, boat or any combination therein when requests from the North are received.